Based on an interview of Erich Gerber originally published on GovInsider Asia.
Over the past year, we’ve all seen how critical it is for governments to effectively leverage technology solutions to meet public safety needs. Advancements in data-driven capabilities now allow public safety agencies to unlock the potential of real-time data to make faster, smarter decisions.
These advancements rely on the speedy and seamless integration of data to predict and respond to threats quickly. The TIBCO Connected Intelligence platform enables organizations to harness data’s transformative energy, by:
- Seamlessly connecting applications and data sources
- Intelligently unifying that data for better access and control
- Confidently predicting outcomes with real-time data-driven intelligence
Read on to learn about four technologies that play a critical role in developing safe and intelligent public safety systems: Internet of Things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), advanced analytics, and complex event processing (CEP).
4 Technology Solutions for Public Safety
- Internet of Things: As IoT devices are deployed around cities in more significant numbers, the amount of information related to traffic flow, accidents, and pollution can be collected and closely monitored. In terms of public road safety, 5G networks and the adoption of IoT devices and sensors will contribute to reducing or eliminating road accidents and other threats in densely populated areas.
- Artificial Intelligence: IoT data also feeds AI systems to generate insights and predict travel patterns, which can help ease congestion in urban centers and contribute to smart city planning. For example, police departments process massive amounts of data from social networks, GPS, CCTV footage, and databases. Combining digital technologies with these powerful analytic capabilities enables public sector agencies to uncover valuable insights, analyze large data sets more efficiently, and make decisions faster.
- Advanced Analytics: Visual analytics allow public sector agencies to extract reliable, predictable, and actionable insights from various data sources, which contributes to strategic decision-making. TIBCO’s proven predictive analytics can provide the police with real-time data about their communities, enabling the agency to allocate officers and employees better to meet public safety needs. Predictive analytics equip the law, and other government agencies, with the necessary data to improve public safety and better manage future threats.
- Complex Event Processing: Complex event processing (CEP) empowers government agencies to respond faster to crises based on the correlation of seemingly unrelated events. As governments monitor borders during crises, CEP technology provides real-time intelligence when disparate data is processed and analyzed together. CEP, combined with data management capabilities, can help verify the urgency of events in real-time and facilitate predictive interventions.
With CEP utilizing multiple event streams to identify opportunities or threats, agencies can harness data’s transformative power to better respond to public safety needs in real-time. Agencies can leverage CEP technology capabilities to collect, filter, and correlate events to capitalize on opportunities, remediate potential threats, and make well-informed, data-driven decisions.
Post-COVID Public Safety Opportunities
With governments heightened border control, CEP technology can be extremely useful in providing real-time operational intelligence from multiple data sources. Data such as travelers’ origin, movement history, and travel routes can provide critical, insightful information when processed and analyzed in a single view. This gives decision-makers real-time access to vital information to take necessary action at the right time.
Additionally, data can help public safety agencies architect more effective smart transportation solutions in the post-pandemic scenario. Passengers might be afraid to ride near potentially infected people; thus, technicians can automate hygiene control procedures, thermal, optical sensors, and periodic UV disinfecting to maintain robust health and safety standards in public transportation to ease passenger’s fears.
Data in Action
Now let’s look at a real-life example of how data-driven technologies are helping ensure a smart response from organizations looking to return to normal following the pandemic. TIBCO GatherSmart™, a symptom tracking solution enriched with analytics, is making a difference as economies attempt to rebound from the COVID-19 pandemic. This application processes user information, correlates it with public health data, and provides personnel departments with actionable insights to manage facilities with health safety guidelines.
Dartmouth College is one of the many organizations utilizing TIBCO GatherSmart to create a responsible environment for people returning to work and school. Aside from using GatherSmart to ensure temperature and symptom screening for its campus, Dartmouth also leverages TIBCO’s powerful analytics to help gather, monitor, and share different data sets related to COVID-19. This enables the institution to create a real-time view of its pandemic response, understand the community health status, and facilitate institutional decision-making concerning public safety.Four technologies that play a critical role in developing safe and intelligent public safety systems: Internet of Things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), advanced analytics, and complex event processing (CEP). Click To Tweet
Interested in learning more about data solutions? Watch this webinar to understand how data science can mitigate the risks of COVID-19.