The era of “do more with less” is far from over, and this is often felt most painfully by technical support staff. While traveling in the past weeks, I’ve had various issues that required me to place several unexpected calls to tech support teams. I had to call:
- My cell phone provider when my data plan stopped working abroad;
- My airline when my itinerary was not showing up in my online profile (meaning I had no idea what country I was supposed to be in that day);
- And my credit card company when I was suddenly “declined” while trying to pay for a pricey Thai dinner in London. (To the owner’s relief, I am not a dead-beat — the card was simply “flagged” and locked due to my recent surge of overseas usage).
As an engineer at heart, I really sympathize with the person on the other end of the phone when I make that support call. In the “do more with less” economy, I realize this person may not have the level of training or skillset to do much more than read from a troubleshooting script, which takes them (and us) step-by-step through what can be a very long methodology, only to eventually determine what a more experienced person could have easily identified much faster.
In the reality of a “big data” world, as the data becomes more complex, the steps are getting lengthier and approaching unmanageable. For most of us “techies,” when we hear, “First, you must reboot your machine,” “Take the battery out of the device” or “Jiggle the cord,” it can have an adverse effect on our confidence and customer satisfaction in that organization — regardless of the issue we have called in about.
A Day In the Life
TIBCO understands the daily challenges of the application developers, support technicians, QA testers and security analysts: The need to quickly identify and troubleshoot issues in business-critical applications, which requires more than jiggling the cord. TIBCO® Iris is a solution that easily ingests, intelligently processes, and visualizes results for application and machine log data to enable self-service troubleshooting and forensics for your key applications — all with a level of sophistication that can only come from a leader in event management. For those charged with the success of any application, whether customer-facing, internal, B2B or security-oriented, this fast, intelligent, and guided approach means:
- You can get a product out the door FASTER, closing the “time to market” gap;
- An increase in team productivity;
- You can close more cases;
- And an increase in user satisfaction by getting right to the issue and eliminating the often ineffective, “did you jiggle the cord?” type intro questions.
Join us on June 25, 2013 at 10AM PST/1PM EST for a free webinar. I’ll be speaking with JF Roy, from the office of the CTO at TIBCO’s LogLogic, and detailing how TIBCO Iris can empower anyone whose career is tied to the success of any business-critical application. Get the right data to the right people at the right time with TIBCO Iris. Register to find out how.