Yesterday marked the second and final day of Analytics NOW in San Francisco. There were many breakout sessions in which Advanced Analytics topics were discussed.
Learn How to Master Your Data
Michael O’Connell PhD, Chief Data Scientist at TIBCO, presented a breakout session called Advanced Analytics – Learn How to Master Your Data. In this session, Michael started with three key takeaways:
- TIBCO Spotfire makes advanced analytics simple for all users
- Data science is fun and creates a ton of value
- Go have fun and create value for your business
One of the topics discussed during this breakout session was TIBCO’s Enterprise Runtime for R (TERR).
The core R engine has difficulties with big data and fast data. It was not intended to be an enterprise language.
TERR provides an enterprise-grade implementation of the R language that was developed from the ground up and fully supported by TIBCO. TERR is embedded in Spotfire and enhances the business intelligence and interactive visualizations without requiring any additional configuration or set up.
TERR powers the predictive modeling forecast tools in Spotfire. Using it, you can easily enhance your Spotfire analyses using R language scripts. Spotfire analyses that use TERR can also be deployed to the web.
TERR and Spotfire together can be used to help predict fraud detection, customer churn, supply chain optimization, HR planning, and more.
The New Paradigm in Energy Analytics at Cargill
Geoffry Lakings, Market Technology Analyst at Cargill, discussed how they have been working on an analytical framework for energy.
Cargill was founded in 1865 and is a privately held company with 138,000 employees in 63 countries. Using TIBCO Spotfire, they have been able to create a workflow for a crude refinery research and analysis model.
They discussed the importance of having clean data for analytics. This is critical given the volume of data they collect.
“The data has to come first and foremost. There is a lot of effort that goes into the capturing of data,” says Lakings.
- Analytics NOW is a wrap for 2014, but more stories of Enterprise disruption continue on Wednesday November 5th. Follow the live blog and the #TIBCONOW event tag to join in the discussion.
- Try Spotfire and start discovering meaningful insights in your own data.
- Subscribe to our blog to stay up to date on the latest insights and trends in big data and big data analytics.