TIBCO takes its security responsibilities very seriously. This page provides information about TIBCO security and how customers or security researchers can contact TIBCO to report or ask about a security issue.
TIBCO Security Advisory: March 23, 2021 - TIBCO Rendezvous - 2021-28818
TIBCO Rendezvous Windows Platform Artifact Search vulnerability
Original release date: March 23, 2021
Source: TIBCO Software Inc.
- TIBCO Rendezvous versions 8.5.1 and below
- TIBCO Rendezvous Developer Edition versions 8.5.1 and below
The following components are affected:
- Rendezvous Routing Daemon (rvrd)
- Rendezvous Secure Routing Daemon (rvrsd)
- Rendezvous Secure Daemon (rvsd)
- Rendezvous Cache (rvcache)
- Rendezvous Secure C API
- Rendezvous Java API
- Rendezvous .Net API
The components listed above contain a vulnerability that theoretically allows a low privileged attacker with local access on the Windows operating system to insert malicious software. The affected component can be abused to execute the malicious software inserted by the attacker with the elevated privileges of the component. This vulnerability results from the affected component searching for run-time artifacts outside of the installation hierarchy.
The impact of this vulnerability includes the possibility of an attacker gaining full access to the Windows operating system at the privilege level of the affected component.
CVSS v3 Base Score: 8.8 (CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H)
TIBCO has released updated versions of the affected systems which address this issue:
- TIBCO Rendezvous versions 8.5.1 and below update to version 8.5.2 or higher
- TIBCO Rendezvous Developer Edition versions 8.5.1 and below update to version 8.5.2 or higher
TIBCO would like to extend its appreciation to Will Dormann of CERT/CC for discovery of this vulnerability.