TIBCO Security Advisory: February 1, 2011 - TIBCO Rendezvous and Enterprise Message Service
TIBCO Rendezvous and EMS components listed below contain a SUID vulnerability which could potentially grant unauthorized root access to an attacker on Unix-based systems.
TIBCO has released updates that address a critical vulnerability in server components of TIBCO Rendezvous and EMS. TIBCO strongly recommends sites running the affected components to install the update or take mitigating action as appropriate.
- TIBCO Rendezvous versions 8.2.1 through 8.3.0
- TIBCO Enterprise Message Service (EMS) versions 5.1.0 through 6.0.0
- TIBCO Runtime Agent (TRA) versions 5.6.2 through 5.7.0
- TIBCO Silver BPM Service versions below 1.0.4
- TIBCO Silver CAP Service versions below 1.0.2
- TIBCO Silver BusinessWorks Service version 1.0.0
The following components are affected:
- TIBCO Rendezvous Routing Daemon (rvrd)
- TIBCO Rendezvous Secure Daemon (rvsd)
- TIBCO Rendezvous Secure Routing Daemon (rvsrd)
- TIBCO EMS Server (tibemsd)
On Unix-based systems a successful attack will result in a privilege escalation to root, granting the attacker full administrative control of the host.
For each affected system, update to the corresponding software versions:
- TIBCO Rendezvous version 8.3.1 or higher
- TIBCO Enterprise Message Service 6.0.1 or higher
- TIBCO Runtime Agent (TRA) version 5.7.1 or higher
- TIBCO Silver BPM Service version 1.0.4 or higher
- TIBCO Silver CAP Service version 1.0.2 or higher
- TIBCO Silver BusinessWorks Service version 1.0.1 or higher
This is strongly recommended.
If an upgrade is not possible, the vulnerability can be completely mitigated by disabling SUID rights for all affected components.