TIBCO takes its security responsibilities very seriously. This page provides information about TIBCO security and how customers or security researchers can contact TIBCO to report or ask about a security issue.
TIBCO Security Advisory: April 28, 2009 - TIBCO SmartSockets Product Family Modules®
TIBCO RTworks components listed below contain buffer overflow vulnerabilities in the processing of inbound data. The impact of these vulnerabilities may include remote execution of arbitrary code, information disclosure, and denial of service.
TIBCO has released updates which address critical vulnerabilities in the server and library components of TIBCO RTworks.
These vulnerabilities directly affect the RTworks server (rtserver) and applications utilizing the RTworks libraries.
TIBCO strongly recommends sites running the affected components to install the update or take mitigating action as appropriate.
- TIBCO SmartSockets Product Family (RTworks) versions below 4.0.5
The following components are affected:
- TIBCO RTworks Server (rtserver)
- TIBCO RTworks libraries (rtipc, rtutil)
The impact of these vulnerabilities varies depending on the operating system and the privilege levels of the user that invokes the server or application.
The successful exploit will allow arbitrary code execution with the privileges of the user that invoked the server or application.
Upgrade TIBCO RTworks to version 4.0.5 or above. This is strongly recommended.
If an upgrade is not possible, the following actions can mitigate the vulnerabilities:
- Disable the rtserver UDP port using the rtserver configuration file.
- Utilize a firewall to restrict access to the rtserver.
- Use a user with restricted privileges to invoke the rtserver or application.
- Invoke the server or application from a chroot environment. This will restrict the ability to access or modify information in the event of a successful exploit.