TIBCO Security Advisory: April 9, 2008 - TIBCO Enterprise Message Service™
The TIBCO EMS server contains buffer overflow vulnerabilities in the processing of inbound data. The impact of these vulnerabilities may include remote execution of arbitrary code, information disclosure, and denial of service.
TIBCO has released an update that addresses critical vulnerabilities in the server component of TIBCO EMS.
The EMS server contains vulnerabilities that may allow an attacker to compromise the server by sending a specially crafted message to the EMS server via an EMS client connection or via the TIBCO Rendezvous Daemon.
TIBCO strongly recommends sites running the affected component to install the update or take mitigating action as appropriate.
- TIBCO Enterprise Message Service (EMS) versions below 4.4.3
- TIBCO iProcess Engine versions 10.6.0 thru 10.6.1
The following components are affected:
- TIBCO EMS Server (tibemsd)
- Upgrade TIBCO Enterprise Messaging Service to version 4.4.3 or above. This is strongly recommended.
If an upgrade is not possible, the following actions can mitigate the vulnerabilities:
- Ensure that authorization is enabled in the EMS server and that all authorized users defined locally or in LDAP are fully trusted.
- Utilize a firewall to restrict access to the EMS server port to trusted sources.
- Disable Rendezvous support by setting "tibrv_transports" to "disabled" in the configuration file for the EMS server (tibemsd.conf).