IHG Grows Partners, Revenue, Average Order Size
Fast delivery of partner program to suport customized travel experiences
As omnichannel distribution in the travel industry becomes increasingly part of the new world order, it is critical for large enterprises to keep a solid grasp on customers and maintain reach across travel sites and channels. With more opportunities for partnerships in the digital arena, key players like major hotel chains must create affiliate relationships that are not only mutually beneficial, but also offer unique value to the customer. As a result, many businesses are opening their vast datasets to a variety of partners using APIs to parse and select data relevant to their user base. Coupled with API management, these businesses can offer a dynamic self-service partner portal, enabling partners to create customized experience for travelers shopping on general or niche travel booking sites.
InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), which owns 4,600+ hotels and 11 brands, used their international partner program to drive the company’s success at speed-to-market and revenue growth while maintaining customer loyalty.
- Partner onboarding was a long and arduous process with cumbersome B2B feeds
- Previous affiliate requirements were limiting, eliminating smaller and international companies
- Needed to be a step ahead of technology trends and provide the highest quality user experience for affiliates and customers
- Strategy Services team conducted a gap analysis and provided in-depth market research to lay the foundation for a successful API program
- From concept to implemenation to execution, time to market took just a few months
- The Mashery API Management solution provided a dynamic developer portal with three versions and a dashboard to easily manage five content-rich APIs across brands
- Nearly 100 partners and counting, up from fewer than 10 pre-API program
- 27% revenue increase year over year through the API program
- Went from one partner per quarter to taking less than one day to onboard new partners
- 37% increase in average order value through API program