It sure is great to be writing this blog on the 2017 Gartner BI and Analytics Magic Quadrant. TIBCO Spotfire’s performance is OUTSTANDING—the biggest positive movement of all vendors in the “Ability to Execute” (vertical) direction and continued Visionary!
More than that, the reason I’m so excited about this year’s MQ is that the market is clearly coming to TIBCO Spotfire. As I see it, there are four groups of note in the report:
- Leaders in BI: Microsoft, Qlik, Tableau
- Analytics with BI: IBM, SAP, SAS, TIBCO Spotfire
- Specialized Applications: ClearStory, SalesForce (BeyondCore), Sisense
- Enterprise BI & Analytics Platforms: Microstrategy, TIBCO Spotfire
In a series of 4 blogs during February and March, I’ll describe this year’s MQ and Critical Capabilities reports as they relate to Spotfire and TIBCO.
The BI and analytics space is rapidly evolving with significant investments and incredible innovation in smart data discovery, artificial intelligence, and post-modern data analytics. The Gartner MQ criteria, redefined in 2016, take a very specific lens on the space, such as easy-to-use tools that don’t require significant involvement from IT. Nonetheless, the more comprehensive, advanced and AI-driven capabilities—at enterprise scale—are emerging, and this is where TIBCO Spotfire shines.
TIBCO’s Spotfire product had rave reviews from Gartner. They complimented Spotfire for its:
- Advanced data exploration
- Ease of use in conducting advanced analysis
- Integrated self-service data preparation for building complex data models
- Highly rated design environment for interactive visualization and building analytic dashboards
- Smart recommendations for AI-driven dashboard creation
- Smart data blending with the Spotfire Data Catalog
- Leadership in point-click data science, geoanalytics, and streaming
Smart BI and Analytics
In this world of modern BI, Gartner rewards smart data discovery, self-contained data prep, interactive visualization, embedded advanced analytics, analytic dashboards, and collaboration, along with platform capabilities such as workflow, architecture, security and data source connectivity all as criteria in their MQ evaluation.
With Spotfire, it’s quick and easy to access and wrangle data and create an analytic dashboard with interactive visualizations, and to add advanced analytics and geoanalytics into the dashboard. Here’s a simple example of a modern dashboard built in minutes-hours, showing geo-driven demand forecasting, campaign effectiveness, and supply side optimization. This dashboard hits the basics of CPG-Retail, Category Management, Trade-Fund Optimization, and Supply Chain.
Improved user enablement and customer experience
Gartner called out TIBCO Spotfire’s loyal global customer base of advanced users and improved user enablement as strengths, along with its improved customer experience and view of the future.
TIBCO launched a new community site in the spring of 2016. We are excited that this is receiving rave reviews from our customers and that Gartner has noticed this. The new TIBCO community is gaining traction and momentum:
- Spotfire Core Capabilities: Data access and wrangling, visualizations, maps, admin
- Spotfire Beyond the Core: Machine learning, big data, Insight Platform, extensions, partners—includes the partner component exchange
- Industry Solutions: Energy, manufacturing, customer analytics, financial services
- TIBCO Exchange: Spotfire templates, data functions and TIBCO accelerators
- TIBCO Ideas Portal: Submit product ideas to product; currently ~1000 ideas for Spotfire under consideration
- Answers and Dr. Spotfire Office Hours: Ask and answer questions of the community and our Spotfire experts
- Product Documentation
- Smart discovery at enterprise scale, featuring some of Spotfire’s new node-topology architecture and some big customer deployments
- Spotfire smart templates and extensions for natural language generation, smart data blending, alerting, and web-mashup and embedding
- To the future: Gartner’s View + Point-Click Data Science, streaming and systems of insight
Follow along with the upcoming articles. Want to get involved in the conversation? Use #MoreWithSpotfire and reach me at @MichOConnell or firstname.lastname@example.org to share your questions, comments, and ideas. Also, don’t forget to try TIBCO Spotfire for free today.